get in on the fun,
Join our team
The International Peace Garden was founded in 1932 by a group of visionaries aiming to establish a place dedicated to the ideals of peace and friendship between nations. Located near the geographic center of North America, the International Peace Garden sits on the Manitoba/North Dakota border and commemorates the long-standing peace between the United States and Canada. Today, the Peace Garden grounds span more than 2,400 acres including forests, trails, lakes, manicured gardens, conservatories, campgrounds, and more.
SEASONAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES – May-Sept. 2023
Consider the International Peace Garden next year! The IPG is a 2,300 acre public garden situated on the border of Manitoba and North Dakota. We offer a wide range of experience in the fields of horticulture, professional grounds maintenance and customer service within the tourism sector. If you like working outdoors in a beautiful and natural setting, then this is the place for you! The following opportunities are available in 2023:
Contact the Director of Horticulture, Johannes Olwage at: email@example.com
Event Lead – Start Date April/May 2023
This position leads event coordination for the Garden in collaboration with the Visitor Services Manager.
The duties and responsibilities of an Event Coordinator center on the execution of planned events of varying sizes and purposes. Coordinator is required to understand what it takes to make sure the logistics work out, keep everything within the allocated budget and ensure that the event itself is carried out smoothly. Here are the most essential duties and responsibilities:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review planned events with Visitor Services Manager and recommend ideas and changes that enhance experiences and increase efficiency.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with preferred vendors for events, including but not limited to catering, wedding planning, tour companies, photographers.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with corporate partners, service organizations, school districts, etc., to promote the Garden as a destination for meetings, parties, retreats, etc.
- Coordinate and perform tours.
- Monitor budgets for individual events and overall event calendar in collaboration with the Visitor Services Manager.
- Update the list of business resources in the surrounding area that potential event clients can easily reach out to for additional services and supplies that may not be available on-site.
- Organize the movement of staff, supplies and equipment as needed, in collaboration with other departments.
- Confirming event details and aspects, including seating, dining, and guests
- Creating reliable financial reports and collecting payments on time
- Assure that all literature presented to the public is updated.
- Planning for potential scenarios that could impact the integrity of the event
- Keeping detailed records and notifying administration and support staff of upcoming events on a time sensitive basis
- Do final checks on the day of the event (tables, chairs, sound systems operational) to ensure everything meets rental requirements
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- 1-2 years’ experience coordinating and managing large and small events.
- 1-2 years’ experience managing vendors and partnering organizations, including volunteer groups.
- 1-2 years’ experience managing staff. Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to summarize and reconcile retail sales and operating statistics, and to prepare routine statistical reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively internally and externally, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Knowledge of cash management principles and/or procedures.
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures.
- Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
- Experience with various computer programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office and Event Management software.
- Responsible to familiarize yourself with USA and CA laws/regulations regarding venues eg. Liquor license, capacities,
- Knowledge of basic marketing, promotion, and/or visual merchandising techniques.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 20 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment
To apply, email your resume, cover letter and references to visitorservices@peacegarden.
Resumes will be reviewed in February/March 2023 with interviews to follow.
Your Support Matters
The International Peace Garden was founded in 1932 to celebrate the longstanding peace and friendship between the United States of America and Canada.
We invite you to help us in cultivating the Peace Garden so that it can promote the ideals of conservation, friendship, and cooperation between nations for generations to come.